Hello, all -

Yesterday, I drove down to Winterthur, a duPont family estate turned museum and
gardens for the public to enjoy.  Henry Francis du Pont collected many things,
but with a focus on American Decorative Arts, it is a place that I imagine many
on this list would enjoy visiting.

Devon wrote about Winterthur in the most recent IOLI Bulletin, specifically
about the special Downton Abby costume exhibit that is there.  I had wanted to
get to see this exhibit, although felt no need to join the rush of crowds when
it first opened.  In fact, I specifically waited until now so that I could see
a new exhibit, The Diligent Needle, on needlework.  Winterthur seems to be on a
three year cycle of needlework exhibits and connects them with a needlework
symposium they have.  I went to the one in 2008 (couldn't go in 2011 nor will
be able to go this October).  But, I knew I wished to see this exhibit, if
nothing else for the appreciation of pieces made by hand.

I was able to purchase a booklet ($7.95) in the gift shop that is basically the
entire exhibit, signage and all.  Love when a place produces something like
this.  Given that the exhibit just opened a week ago and that there is SO much
focus on the Downton Abby exhibit, there isn't much on the website about this
exhibit and perhaps not likely to be more than what is there.  But, I thought
some folks on this list would be interested to know more.

The introduction covers it well:  "For centuries, instruction in needlework was
an important part of the a young woman's education.  Both plain sewing and
fancy embroidery required considerable time and effort to learn.  As a result,
women took great pride in their work.  Needlework skills might be used to earn
a living, to embellish clothing and household furnishings, or to simply create
objects of beauty."  The exhibit is divided into four categories:  Diligence,
Profit, Pleasure, and Ornament.  No lace, but lovely things to look at.

HOWEVER, here is the bobbin lace part of my day:  Winterthur has two gift
shops, one of them really more bookstore.  Its area of
needlework/quilting/rugs/textiles is always worth looking through.  There were
two books about collecting antique laces (Heather Toomer's big Antiques Laces
book and another titled Graced By Lace) - from Devon's article, I know that
there are at least a few pieces of lace in the Winterthur collections.
However, sitting next to these two books was a copy of "Traditional
Bedfordshire Lace" by Barbara Underwood, the one with the picture of a woman's
head with a lace covering.  Bobbin lace instruction, patterns, everything and
totally out of place for the type of books they have there.  I just laughed to
myself and assumed that someone had ordered it by title alone and didn't
realize how specific it was to instruction in bobbin lace, which is quite
different than some of the other embroidery instruction books they had on the
 shelf.  I wonder how long it will sit there.

Anyway, if you are able to get to Winterthur, it really is a great place to
visit - wandering the grounds and gardens, seeing the collections in the
museum/house, and taking in the special exhibits.  Oh, and even in the exhibit
space on the first floor, that doesn't change much, they seem to rotate
objects.  In that space, duPont's collections are divided into things like
Furniture, Metalwork, Ceramics, Paintings, and, of course, Textiles.  In the
textile area was a lovely whitework shawl that I don't think I had seen in my
previous visits there.

Off to work on my lace on this rainy and overcast day,
arlene in NJ