Hello All!  It's a bummer to be back on eastern time when I've been on Lace
Time for several days.  Last weekend, I attended Ithaca Lace Days & had a
blast!  I ended up using the DMC 60 cordonnet for my coarse thread in the
Honiton class.  Upon reflection, I realized that for previous beginner pieces,
I had simply used thicker thread so this will give me a chance to see the
differences/similarities & make a decision for future projects.  My butterfly
has a body & part of one upper wing so with courage in hand, I bought some 140
thread for the next papillon.  In the meantime, my roommate attended the
Candida's class so I was able to leaf thru her book.  Oh my--some stunning
braids!!!  It reminded me of Milanese so now I wonder if one was influenced by
the other, or did they develop independently??  Several were so charming, I'm
tempted to try them next to a Milanese braid within the same piece as they
offer additional expression within a form.  Specifically, I'm referring to !
 the holes created in Crossover (Milanese) vs. those created in Candida's
(Rice?) where the threads from one side are lifted and/or twisted over threads
from the other before re-entering the work.  This makes for a textural element
that differs from Milanese where each side is worked thru the opposing side
(crossing).  Perhaps someone who knows more would be willing to comment.  The
bonus of the trip, other than seeing old friends & shopping at the vendor
tables, was meeting Sirius.  Lyn Bailey & her husband Bob brought their wonder
dog along for the ride in their RV.  Jet black & silky, this Newfoundland is a
heart breaker!  Many thanks to Holly & crew for putting on the party.
Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Erie, PA USA