I've been wondering about this for a few weeks. There comes a point where you don't remember where you learned some things, especially lace, where the information can come from books, lectures, informal conversations, Arachne. I believe I learned that the weight of a bobbin helps it to tension the lace. But even when I'm using the correct bobbin for the weight of the thread, from thin to thick, I still have to tension virtually every stitch at some point. I'm wondering if the weight of the bobbin helps the hitch to do its job. When I transport my pillow anywhere and it tilts, I spend a fair amount of time fixing the hitches on the bobbins. When the pillow is stationary, and keeps sitting in the same place, there are many fewer problems with hitches.
Is the original premise a common one?
Is there any validity in the second premise?

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA where it has been damp, chilly, and cloudy for the past several days. I've just seen blue sky for the first time in 3 days.