Thanks to Laurie Waters for sharing this event with us.

If there is an exhibit brochure, would someone please pick up a copy for my
 library ?   I will pay the related expenses.  I am now trying to  fill in
gaps of lace history with lace ephemera - printed material that is  not in
book form.

Laurie gives some addresses in her LaceNews that show Ypres after WWI  and
today.  This is a startling reminder of the tremendous losses  suffered.  To
view the photos today, is to not realize how bad it  was.  My Belgian
friend who had worked for AT&T took me around  Belgium at the time of the Ghent
OIDFA Congress.  I exclaimed about  the architecture - all those lacy
cathedral spires !  Suddenly, she (not  born until after WWII) had tears
streaming
down her cheeks, as she told me it  was all restoration and Belgium had lost
so many lives and so much original  architecture and art.  Medieval towns
were  pulverized.  Look at the photos of Ypres with this in mind.

http://www.kantatelierdekersecorf.be/    (Click  on purple lettering)

http://tinyurl.com/mdjw7hc   (Ypres & the Great  War)

Our newer Arachne members may not realize how much has  been written about
"war lace", which was made to earn money to  help pay for the very necessary
food and medicines allowed through the  German blockade for use by the
Belgian domestic  population.   The flax industry was destroyed, so thread  was
shipped through the blockade, weighed by the Germans, and the completed
laces were weighed before being allowed to leave Belgium for eventual sale  to
lace buyers in other countries.   It was not economically viable,  but
helped.  Today, most of the war laces are in museums.

Our English language "bible" for information is "Bobbins of Belgium"  by
Charlotte Kellogg.  Kellogg was driven around Belgium in the  closing days of
WWI, and wrote this most informative account.  Tess scanned  my copy of this
book (actually, she had donated the book to my  lace library!) into the
Arizona site for all to read.  Kellogg wrote  another book, "Women of Belgium -
Turning Tragedy to Triumph", which is  interesting reading for social
workers.  Not on Arizona site, but can  be ordered from InterLibrary Loan.

http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/lace.html

I looked up Ypres entries in the "Bobbins" book.  There is no  chapter
devoted to Ypres, because it was completely destroyed and there were no  lace
makers for Kellogg to visit there.  Mentions of Ypres are  on  Pgs. 36, 87,
90, 143, 271.  As you scroll around looking for these  pages, pause when you
come to photos.  Many are of the famous "war  laces".

Question:  Has anyone, or a lace organization, taken on the  project of
preparing a book about the International Poppy Project ?

As always, Arachne archives contain files about the subjects covered in
this memo.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 11/9/2014 10:13:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,