I'm taking a straw poll here just /before/ I start a new project. It
is a gift for an artisan exchange that I'm part of locally. To my
knowledge, I am the only lacemaker in the exchange.

We are medieval reenactors, to give a touch of context. My current
(cunning) plan is to gift my recipient a lace trimmed cloth, with
meaningful embroidery to her in the centre. (as time permits.)

I'd like to leave it nebulous on if this is a hankie, napkin, cover
cloth for a basket, or something of that ilk. That being said, what
size would you find most pleasing? (The pattern is square by nature,
but such that it could be made rectangular as needed.)

I am a beginner lackemaker, and I own a small bolster pillow and a 16"
cookie pillow. (Honestly, these are the main size constraints!)

Any words of wisdom from the group?

Heather -- in snowy SW Ontario Canada who is also taking advantage of
a quiet lace group to ask silly questions. :)