I suppose you thought such stores had all closed in America.  However,  one
is still in operation about 25 miles north of my home.  It is much more
fun than the mall's chain stores, because you'll get to know people working
there and they all know the products for sale.  Imagine that, educated  sales
personnel !  I started shopping at the Yardgoods Center 20 years  ago.

Each January, I drive up to see what new products have been crammed  into
this store, founded in 1949 by parents of the present owners - a  brother and
sister.  It is 2 retail spaces joined together at street level,  with
separate stairs down to lower levels.  Here, you enter  and pass quilting
supplies of all kinds on the left. The right front  showcases the latest sewing
machines.  It is where I've taken a 1950's  Singer Featherweight for repairs,
and they also sharpen scissors while you  wait.  A little further on is a
small selection of fabrics for  clothing.  They had some suitable for covering
lace pillows.   Then, there is the cash register and measuring station for
this whole  section - center stage.

Walking toward the right back, there is a large selection of  sewing
notions - ribbons, laces, braids, threads, sewing pattern books, cabinets
containing patterns.  Things nice for anyone creative to have.   In a corner
with
cabinets and covers over the quality materials is a  section for brides, with
all the extras - like gloves and tiaras.

At the back left there are lots of wide bolts of felts, suitable for
padding lace pillows and doing crafts.  There are lots of faux  furs for
keeping
warm.

Down a wide staircase is a basement full of everything needed for home
decorating, including bolts of machine-made laces for curtains.

Up, and over to the other street level shop, entered from the notions
department.  Here is everything needed for knitting, crochet,  tatting.  And
there is a large selection of buttons and such - I mean,  everything - there
was even a modern lucet.  And, books.  You pass  another centrally-located
cash register (no lines like in mall  stores).  There are always at least two
clerks to help with every  problem a beginner might have, or ready to special
order for a person of more  experience.

Walking past that to the front of the second store, is a huge selection of
supplies for people who like to use stamping supplies (printing designs on
paper  or fabric), and some other implements that one might actually add to
their  lace pillow's tote bag.  On the left are large tables pushed into a
square near the front windows to bring in lots of light and shows  outsiders
how busy the store is.  There are always at least 8  people learning from
experts and each other.  It is a place to meet at  any time and find amiable
company.  The sister-owner says she is  happily providing a community
service for the lonely, widowed, etc.   Down the stairs on this side are all
the
supplies embroiderers might  need.

Needlework shoppers in America - it is almost impossible to find every
thing you need, and have fun doing it.  I spent 2 hours looking at all the
latest offerings for many crafts.  This is a place where family  members, like
cousins, work along-side of the owners.  They  remember people's names and
interests, introduce you around, etc.   Once in a while they bring in Elaine
O'Donal from Lacemakers of Maine to teach  tatting.  Bobbin and needle lace
lessons are not offered.  They would  be, if interest is expressed and a
teacher available.

Please remember independent suppliers and help to keep them in  business so
you don't have to mail order every thing.  They need income in  the months
after Christmas.  And, what a lovely way to meet new people that  you can
discuss lace with.  Yes, I was wearing a 3 inch square of  Elaine's tatting,
attached by a sparkly snow flake brooch to a plush  black beret hat.  It
helped to generate communication.

If you think there is nothing comparable near you, talk with a few
quilters.  Maybe they will steer you to a special shopping  experience.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center