Hi Brenda - both are 3-ply, so you're probably right

Can't do a test wrap myself, unfortunately - never had the manual dexterity to wind fine thread evenly enough at the best of times, and these days arthritis in my thumbs makes it painful to hold the thread and card while I attempt it - so I'll try it on something the 28 w/cm Sylko would suit.

Beth

 Brenda Paternoster wrote:
Hi Beth

Is it 3ply or 4ply?
Although J & P Coats Cotton 40 is 31 w/cm it’s  actually 4Z-31 w/cm.

What you have probably compares to Coats sylko 40, 3Z-28 w/cm

Brenda

There are 2 different labels (I'm not sure whether there is any difference in
the thread between the two):
"Coats Satinised machine twist 40" and "Coats Satinised mercerised cotton 40"

Does anyone recognise those names or have any of them in their workbox? Coats
threads were ubiquitous in my childhood, but I don't recognise the label style
and ordinary hand/machine sewing thread was usually Coats Sylko

In the absence of other info I will start by assuming they will be very similar to "J
& P Coats Cotton 40", which is listed as 31 wraps/cm in Threads for Lace, and make a
sample on a pricking suitable for that.
Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
www.brendapaternoster.co.uk