Not sure about the peacock, but the Madonna and child look so much in the style
of Milca Eremiasova--what is the source of that pattern, and ,please, where can
I purchase it?

----- Original Message -----

From: "Anita Hansen" <purplelace...@hotmail.com>
To: "lace" <lace@arachne.com>, celticdreamwe...@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, February 6, 2015 11:45:23 AM
Subject: [lace] Binche Peacock

Hi Sherry!

I think I have made the peacock that was discussed, but I'm not sure. My
patterns and lace books are still packed away after our move so I can't check
the pattern to see if was from OIDFA. I have uploaded a photo of my lace to
the arachne2003 flicker account.

My Binche lace skills are primarily self taught. If you can follow a
color-coded Belgium diagram you are well on your way to doing Binche! Oh, and
being able manage a zillion bobbins helps! LOL! If you can't find a Binche
workshop, one in Flanders or Paris is the next best thing. The most difficult
part of working Binche lace (aside from the zillion bobbins) is that it will
keep you on your toes. You will need to constantly refer to the diagram.
This isn't Torchon where you look at the lace and automatically know what to
do and easily get into a repeatable rhythm. So you will either like that or
you won't. I don't even bother taking my Binche project to a lace
demonstration because I need to concentrate. I also put my working diagram on
a styrofoam board (covered with fabric) so I can use pins to keep my place. I
will suggest that it helped me to practice Flanders ground, Paris ground and
snowflake ground before I just jumped into one of Kumiko Nakazaki's design
which was similar in size to this peacock.

Kumiko Nakazaki will be teaching a class on Binche lace at the upcoming 2015
IOLI convention. I am delighted to say it is being co-hosted by the Doris
Southard Lace Guild right here in eastern Iowa, namely Coralville. You can
find information on the IOLI website. And you will (hopefully) find me in her
class too!

Anita Hansen
Cedar Rapids, Iowa