I think you’re talking about hooded bobbins: I have one. The hood is a
hollow shell that rides over top of the threads, and floats free. There are no
holes in the hood other than at the top and bottom.

With this new-to-me type of bobbin, the outside part does not ride free, the
inside bobbin seems to have a friction fit at the tail end of the bobbin, and
with this bobbin there is an adjustment mechanism with the two holes in the
outer side that I have never seen in a hooded bobbin.

You could call this an improvement on the hooded bobbin, or a hooded bobbin
variant, but I don’t think they’re the same thing. I’ve never seen a
bobbin quite like this before.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)