Thanks Anna.

There is a good description of how to wind and secure bobbins with S versus Z twists on page 143 of Kloppeln by Ulricke Lohr. I am also left-right dyslexic so I have the page bookmarked.

Your guidelines for measuring how much thread to wind on are very helpful. It is a question I often ask myself. Here is a summary of your description which I think will be quite handy for me in the future (please correct me if I have any of it wrong):

   Footsides: 1.5 times finished length
   Footside passives:  1 times finished length + 5 inches
   Workers: 10 times finished length *
   Ground threads: 2.5 times finished length **

* The amount of thread to wind on the workers depends on the width of cloth stitch band so it will vary quite a bit. It will be roughly 4 times the number of horizontal grid points spanned times the finished length. (e.g. a cloth band across . . . . grid points has a span of 3. For a 10 cm long cloth band of this width, it will take 120 cm of thread per bobbin on the workers.)

** This applies for Torchon ground and similar grounds

For my scarf I bought 3 x 30 gm ball which contain 300m and another 300m of a contrasting colour.

I am curious - how did you use the contrasting colour? Was it the worker in your cloth stitch sections?

I would also like to thank all those who emailed me in person. Here is a brief summary of the suggestions I have received:

Warp yarn has as tighter twist than weft yarn.
Twist Angle - The greater the twist angle, the stiffer the cloth will be. Look for thread with an angle in the range 25 to 45 degrees. Machine spun yarns for weaving have spinning oils on them that need to be washed out after completing the project and this will change the yarn. Bloom - This is how much the thread will swell up when washed. Look for a thread with very little bloom to preserve the holes of the lace. Wool tends to have a lot of bloom but silk may also have a little bit. 8/2 Tencel and 10/2 mercerized cotton make nice scarves. Even loose threads and novelty threads with added texture can be used with caution - just keep an eye on the twists and occasionally twirl the bobbins around to add some twist back in.

Many thanks,
Veronika

in Victoria BC, amongst the rhododendrons, thankful that it is raining today so that I can stop gardening and make lace