I have been told that the spangles on the English East Midland bobbins are
there for weight to aid in the tension. I accepted this as truth.

But ...

My EM bobbins vary in weight depending on the beads used in the spangles.
European bobbins vary in shapes (and I am guessing) weight
If you work on a bolster pillow your bobbins hang down, thus gravity (weight)
is affecting the tension
If you work on a cookie pillow your bobbins have a slight gravity affecting them
BUT if you are working on a flat pillow, Gravity has no affect?

So, What do your bobbins weigh? Does your tension change if you use a different
style of bobbin?

Jenny Brandis
Brookdale, Western Australia