Susan, when making a picot, leave the first thread around the pin a little
loose and then wrap the second thread around the pin.   Tighten both threads
against the pin at the same time.  This ensures that the picots don't split.
Tightening the first thread before the second thread is in position is what
causes the two separate loops (known as split picots).

Ruth Budge (Sydney Australia)