I would agree with Kathleen here.  Bugle beads or beads with chips should be
avoided at almost all costs when you are making anything involving beads.  The
only way to get around the challenge with bugle beads is to put a seed bead at
either end of the bugle bead.  Then the thread isn't rubbing on the edge of the
bugle bead!!

Sue in East Yorkshire where it's sunny'ish at the moment!!