The material in Beeton's book of Needlework published in 1870 appeared
in a series of books by Madame Goubaud issued between 1866 and 1871.  I
found this when I checked them in the British Library which holds 14 of
Madame Goubaud's books.   Mrs Beeton died in 1865.

'Samuel Beeton told us in the preface to Beeton's Book of Needlework
that the 'best attainable workers' had carried out his late wife's
wishes to have a needlework book along the same lines as her classic one
on household management .  He also wrote that point lace had recently
become popular and the patterns in the book would help ladies to
reproduce antique laces.

Madame Goubaud may have been the editor rather than the author of the
wide range of needlework reprinted in the Beeton's book.  She already
had a large workload as she and her husband produced the prestigious
French fashion magazine /Le Moniteur de la Mode/ in Paris.  The Beetons
and Goubauds were friends and business associates.'

  These two paragraphs are quoted from my book /Mademoiselle Riego and
Irish crochet lace/, p. 18.

Madame Goubaud's point lace book can be downloaded from
www.archive.org.  It came up close to the top of the list when I typed
Madame Goubaud point lace into google.

Barbara Ballantyne
in sunny Sydney, Australia