If I could choose from the past, it would be Raie Clare; alas, a teacher
also deceased, I have heard.  This was the lady whose "Book of Bobbin
Lace" got me started.

I'd seen someone's lace pillow and it captivated me, although I'd never
seen lace being made.  Then I found Raie Clare's video in our local
library, and was at once inspired to believe that this was something I
could do too.  So I went out and bought her book and pack of patterns,
and contacted a supplier listed in the back of the book and bought a
beginner's pillow and other necessities. Her book is here on amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Bobbin-Lace-Raie-Clare/dp/0852197101/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435584872&sr=1-1&keywords=Raie+Clare

and I see that it was published in 1987.  It was still in print when I
bought it:  can it really have been so long ago?  I couldn't have had a
better start, and have loved making lace ever since.  No-one ever seems
to mention her:  does anyone know anything about her?

Linda in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K., (where it's cool and
cloudy.  We were warned of a heatwave, but I haven't needed to take off
my woolly jumper yet !).