This is not my subject however, as a self appointed guardian of East Midland lace activities I would like to point you to H J Yallop. The History of the Honiton Lace Industry. Exeter Press.

I know that Mrs Bury Palliser. History of Lace. Dover Press, does not have a good reputation for accuracy. However she does history in a somewhat chatty manner, and i can not think that all her writing is incorrect. She is a good source of a wide ranging history of lace. I would suggest that users of her book check the facts a little more than usual.

In a non academic way, I rather like her book!

Of course, you will all know that Gertrude Whiting is my favourite writer of all things lace and tools. However i could not point you to one of her books that would be particularly useful in creating a timeline.

Oh, I almost forgot, I suspect a lot of information could be gleaned from Alexandra Stilwell’s, Illustrated Dictionary of Lacemaking, Cassel. [sorry!!]

I might remind you of more than a few of my publications on lace tools were as a result of excellent cooperation of members of this group. I think this group could provide most of the information needed for such a “timeline”.

I like      “timelines”      good luck and good cooperation.

With smiles of encouragement.

Brian