Last week I finally got around to visiting the Treasured Possessions
Exhibition on at the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge.

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/gallery/treasuredpossessions/index.html
"A dazzling journey through the decorative arts: from the hand-crafted
luxuries of the Renaissance to the first stirrings of mass commerce in the
Enlightenment. Each of the 300 beautiful and engaging objects was once a
treasured possession, revealing the personal tastes and aspirations of its
owner, and preserving precious memories."

It is a very eclectic collection  of items from teapots to shoes, tradecards
to mourning jewellery. Heavy on the ceramics as they survived well, but with
one of the themes being "the decorated body" enough textile and costume to
keep the interest.  Embroidered shoes and caps / coifs and bodies and
stomachers from the Jacobean and Georgian era.  There is an amazing 16th
century  fashion book  on display with a recreation of one of the costumes,
some of it has been digitised and is on the website. The only piece of lace is
a metal trim on one of the Jacobean caps, just like the ones Gill Dye has been
publishing I didn't get enough time to have a really good look, I am hoping to
go back for another look.

They've put a lot of work into the exhibition website which is worth a browse,
if you aren't close to Cambridge (not the cap sadly). I spent an enjoyable
hour there and it seemed quite popular - I thought midweek would be very
quiet.   If you go out the back door, having admired the amazing embroidered
cabinet, the stumpwork picture and the beaded tray of flowers, turn right into
the octagon, there is a display of gold and jewelled snuffboxes, quite the
most amazing 18th century bling I have ever seen.

The free exhibition is on until September so plenty of time to drop in.

Louise
In stifling Cambridge, it has just hit 32C/90F. I am out of practice with the
heat, thank goodness for an a/c office.

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to