In researching material for a workshop on torchon spiders for our guild, I came
across Gertrude Whiting's directions for "Plain Torchon Spiders", for what is
elsewhere described as(three-legged or two-legged) spider ground or spider
filling. "Pins are used in the center of the spider bodies only. These centers
should be raised to give an arched effect. This is done after the first half of
the spider body is woven, by holding the pairs nearest the pin up high and
tight against it while closing it...and pulling the outer pairs up tight..." :
contrary to more modern instructions to remove the pin and smooth the spider
center down. Does anyone try for that raised effect in spider ground nowadays?
Doris O'Neill Chicago Area.