Today at our lace picnic in Mission Bay park, San Diego I moved my lace table
to a spot under a tree when the sun became too intense.  It was hard to see
my fine silk thread on my Blonde pattern in the sun.  I stepped away to bring
my chair over to the table when I heard a thud, turned and saw my table had
fallen over and the pillow was upside down. Didn't realize the ground was so
sloping there. The hardest part was retrieving thousands of pins from my pin
box which had fallen open.  We couldn't leave pins in the grass where
children might be playing.  Luckily Linda Knott had a long handle magnet
which picked many up quickly.  I was picking them up individually and
separating them from the grass and pine needles when I realized I was wearing
my lace bracelet which had a magnetic closure.  Using that speeded things up
and we hopefully got all of the steel pins.
I did the trick of holding the pillow up to let the bobbins fall down.  I
only had about 28 pairs and it didn't take too long to sort the threads out.
 Just got going again when a thread caught on my ring and broke.  Not bad
considering the disaster it could have been.  Note to self: Don't move the
table without pinning down the bobbins and closing the pin box tightly, also
maybe not wear jewelry when dealing with fine thread.
Second disaster was DH was playing with another husband and his Australian
boomerangs and he tossed one that came back so fast and high it landed in the
bay.  Drifted out instead of in.  The first one lost in the water was
retrieved by a passing snorkeler but he had left when the second one went in.
Nice day making lace by the water with two other lace guilds, plus a good
selection of food at the pot luck picnic.Janice Janice Blair
Murrieta, CA, 60 miles north of San Diego
www.jblace.com
www.lacemakersofillinois.org