At the fair where I work, the Washington State Fair,  if the piece is done
with yarn it goes in the Crochet Class and if it is done with finer thread
then it goes in the Crochet/Lace class.  The same is true of larger yarn
Knitting -it goes in the Knitting Class, but if it is done with fine 'lace
yarn' or thread it goes in the Knit/Lace class.
Hope this helps, if you need further info (like the classes used at the Wash.
State Fair) just let me know.
Lorri