I haven't flown in a while, and have had no trouble after 9/11 bringing even a small lace pillow, loaded with pins, on board. NEVER stopped. For knitting the trick is to avoid metal straight needles. Wooden circular needles don't even really show up, and don't actually look like a non-knitter's vision of knitting needles. I have done bamboo and non-metal sock needles on several occasions with no trouble. If you mention that it is knitting, they will see a flag and look closer. Listening to a book and knitting on a plane without movies really helps to pass the time.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA where it is unseasonably mild, and unfortunately the sun isn't supposed to shine for several days now.

David Collyer wrote:
In October when I flew back to Australia from Vietnam on Virgin
Airlines I finally managed to smuggle my knitting on board the plane
and between Singapore and Melbourne was able to knit half a sock! Oh
what a pleasure to while away those horrible hours. Here's how.....

In Saigon I found the correct size in a set of bamboo knitting
needles. I put the ends of the 4 needles inside large eucalyptus seed
pods with a length of elastic between to keep them firm. Then shoved
them inside a ball of wool and wrapped the whole thing in a plastic
bag and placed it deep inside my hand luggage. This bag was scanned
twice in Saigon and 3 times in Singapore with no questions asked.
Also inside my wallet alongside a seam I had blue-tacked a darning
needle for sewing in the ends.