Thank you Jenny. A useful, well structured and thought out mail that I am sure
will help many people.
Jane  :)

    On Thursday, 21 January 2016, 3:46, Jenny Brandis <je...@brandis.com.au>
wrote:

 Hi everyone

Quote: Browsing using Google is not easy if you do not know how  or cannot
access the internet easily. Unquote

This sentence, following closely behind a conversation with a school teacher
on the subject made me give some thought to how I search the net. I used to
get complements like "where do you find the time to search", "wow, you found
that so quick" which made me feel good but did not help the sender (or you)

So ...here are a few hints and tips that I use - I hope you will find them
helpful

If you have ever asked a database for specific results you will know that
how you word that query defines how useful the answers will be!

For example:

If I type in Jenny Brandis to Google.com.au I get 188,000 results - this
gives all instances of Jenny and all instances of Brandis, not necessarily
even on the same page

If I type in "Jenny Brandis"  to Google.com.au I get 3,860 results - this
gives all instances of Jenny Brandis the phrase - a lot of them are me :)

If I type in "Jenny Brandis" lace to Google.com.au I get 2,260 results - a
lot of them are about me and lace :)

If I type in "Jenny Brandis" arachne to Google.com.au I get 1,500 results

So you can see, choosing your words carefully can impact your results.
Adding  the inverted commas in front and behind my name forces the search to
only give results that have the 2 words in a phrase.

With lace searches we can narrow it down even further

If I type in "Jenny Brandis" free lace pattern to Google.com.au I get 2,160
results and the 1st one goes to the page with links to free patterns on my
website

If I type in "free lace pattern" however I get 199,000 results - just not
prickings :(

If I type in "free bobbin lace pattern" however I get 35,600 results - the
first going to Lorelei Halley's lynxlace site

Try the following searches (copy and paste into the search field on goggle)

Arachne lace

Arachne -lace

Out out damned spot

Remember a line (or 2) from a song but cant remember the title? Try

May your hands always be busy  May your feet always be swift

Ok, getting off topic but the idea is the same for lace related searches.

Please, if this helps you, pass it on to others - knowledge is to be shared
not hoarded.

Regards

Jenny Brandis

je...@brandis.com.au <mailto:je...@brandis.com.au>

www.brandis.com.au <http://www.brandis.com.au/>  online since 1995

I can say to future generations that I was born BEFORE the Internet - my
parents generation invented it!!