There are approximately 1,000 subscribers to Arachne.  It works  for most.
When I send a letter to Arachne it is because I think more  than one person
will be interested.  Otherwise, the time required is just  too great - I
want a "big bang for my buck", as the saying goes.  This  means "results for
my money, or time, or knowledge".

It has been a pleasure to share lace knowledge, but when working for a
large corporation I learned that no one is indispensable.

The suggested Arachne digest option does not suit my  purpose.  Some
appeals for help are time-sensitive.

I refuse to make complicated arrangements and set up extra  subscriptions
with other companies to be able to communicate with our  international lace
community.

Blocking e-mail smells like an illegal action.  AOL collects  monthly fees
for service, and I will address this with them.  It looks  like Yahoo
collects fees as well.  We also buy stamps to pay  for postal service, and that
mail must be delivered - by law and agreements  between nations.  Your paid
phone company cannot refuse to connect  some calls: we enjoy universal
service.  Calls to other nations are  paid for with a portion of what you pay
your telephone provider.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center