Hi, Julie, and Welcome to the very addictive world of needlelace!!
I, too have worked from the Barley book.  Hollie point, I find, is not an
easy lace to make!
I worked 2 samples - one in Fincrochet #20, and the other - same pattern -
in Brock 100/3.

I will email you privately, with a scan of the 2 samples .  I have worked
needlelace quite successfully using the Brok 100/3  I think the Madeira
Tanne is too loose a twist for doing a closely worked needlelace like Hollie
Point.  You need  a firmer thread. Finca bobbin lace threads are Ok, though
- they seem to be a firmer thread, - more "body" to them.

Regards from Liz in Melbourne, Oz.
lizl...@bigpond.com