You might know these as "magic threads" Sally.  A loop of strong thread is
"installed" in the beginning pin holes to make it easier to sew out at the
end.  They are pinned back on the pillow while the piece is worked.  At the
end, drop one bobbin thru the loop to draw up & make the sewing.  The pin
holes were so tiny with Cotona 80, it's a wonder the end of my crochet hook
found anything to grab.  If I missed it the first time, it was pot luck.  My
hat is permanently off to anyone who regularly works with 170/2 or finer
threads.  Lacemaking is definitely a near-sighted sport!  Even using 2.0
prescription lenses with 4.0 magnifiers, I was far-sightedly out of my league.
Just as an aside, if I ever make this piece again, I would be tempted to tie
off the bobbins & simply overcast the seam with a fine needle.  Hope that is
not lace blasphemy, but I think I would have more control over the results & a
flatter, neater seam.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Palm Beach Gardens, FL USA

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 11, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Sally Jenkins <dansing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Arachne and Susan,
>
> Susan said, " Unfortunately, I failed to install lazy loops on the octagon &
the sewings/finishing went badly"

> I would like to know about these "lazy loops" - I think I may have invented
some myself on occasion by either using two pins stuck right beside each other
(touching, in fact) or using a big fat pin (well, that one is wishful thinking
- I don't have any big fat pins! but would have used one if I could have). Is
this the right idea, or is there a better way to "install lazy loops?"