At the 2016 OIDFA Congress's gala dinner in Slovenia, I sat at  the Belgian
table, surrounded by 9 very capable experts with extensive  experience when
it comes to Belgian laws and organization of large events.   Conversation
was in English.  Please do not panic if you were planning  to go to Bruges in
2018.  I think it will be very nice and some of you will  definitely want
to attend.

Every dispute has at least 2 sides, and the Belgians have been politely
silent about theirs.

As most of you know, I belong to the large lace guilds of our world, and
try to know what is happening.  I have deliberately avoided entering  into
any large guild's internal politics, though I have some  pretty interesting
opinions of how they "operate", select officers,  communicate, etc.

My dearest friend, Jean Leader, has referred you to the  "official" OIDFA
document about cancellation of the 2018 OIDFA  Congress.  However, I also
have personally received extensive  written information directly from the
Belgians about what has been  happening for the last 4 years - information
that
is not for public  airing!

OIDFA Congresses usually take about 6 years to plan and  execute. The
Belgians have been working on what was to be the 2018 OIDFA  Congress for
about 4
years.  That has been cancelled, as I understand it  from written
documents, because current Belgian laws do not agree with  the official
paperwork of
OIDFA (incorporated as a  non-profit under French laws).  The Belgian lace
group will  continue their planning for a lace event under their own
sponsorship,  including their own financing.

There will be a large lace event very much like the OIDFA  Congresses in
Bruges in 2018.  More detailed information will be coming  from them soon.  I
am much encouraged by what they have told me.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 8/27/2016 5:34:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,