Here is my donation for the day.  It is one that many could have  written:

North Americans may have watched "Live with Kelly" on TV this  morning.  A
guest was Tricia Yearwood, the country music  singer.  Yearwood is a mature
woman, with a full figure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZg4nnXUH6EHere

Be sure to look at the back of her dress when she walks in.  Here  is my

Tight-fitting black sheath with dropped shoulders to which are added  black
set-in sleeves to elbows, V neck, hem stops above knees, trimmed  with
white lace.  Separate narrow lace-colored belt.

Two long bands of very pretty white lace (probably 8" wide and  probably
machine-made) were added to the basic dress.  The lace went from  front hem,
straight up over the shoulders and straight down the back to the  hem, on
each side.  This had the effect of making Yearwood look much  heavier.  When
she sat for the interview portion, the dress rode up at  the hem.

Having studied fashion design and made all my adult clothes before age  30,
I thought about how this dress and lace could be more becoming.   Narrower
lace, so that a bit more black showed at the sides, would have  created an
optical illusion that made her look slimmer.  An A-line  skirt, when one
knows she will be seated in front of a camera or in a chair  on a stage, would
have covered her knees when sitting, instead of  "riding up".

The basic design idea is very good, and one many of you might consider
wearing to a public event or celebration.  My suggestion would be to put a
dress (not skin tight on you) on a mannequin (or even  a padded hanger) and
then experiment with the width  and placement of lace.  The lace and dress
should be colors that  work with your complexion.  Lace can be fragile.  Choose
a sturdy  one that will not be stress-damaged when you sit, or end the wide
lace  strips at waist in back.  Omit the belt.  Also, be sure to have a
wrap of some kind to cover the lace when using a car's (or plane's)  seatbelt.

Suddenly, a memory of the late Radmilla Zuman came to  me.  I remember a
simple black dress to which she added a long strip of  lace in a most
complimentary diagonal placement.  The dress fit  properly, and she wore it at
lace event.  This brought up another  memory of a class she taught in a NYC
museum on how to make a collar  pattern for a specific dress.  This is a
valuable skill to learn - she  laid a dress on the table and traced around the
neckline and the slope of  the shoulder.  She cut out a paper pattern and made
a few  adjustments to that so it would lay flat on the dress when worn.
She offered lace options for making a lace collar in various  shapes.  If I
had been at home, I would have cut out the pattern  from a scrap of fabric
approximately the weight of lace, put on  the dress, and made sure it really
sat right.  Then, I'd make allowance for  threads that might retract when a
collar is lifted off the lace  pillow, before making a pricking.

If this seems too much work, consider making a very long somewhat  narrow
scarf (one that is a fashion statement and not to be used for  warmth).  A
scarf can be worn with various clothes, is easy to  store, and packs well in a
suitcase.  To determine length/width, tear  up a worn-out bed sheet in
strips and drape around your neck.  Antique  narrow scarves exist.  This is a
traditional accessory.  For a  long useful life, never use pins to secure a
scarf.  To prevent  damage, hand carry the scarf to events where you plan to
wear it.  Be wary  of car doors, theater seats, stairs and the like.

Wear lace.  Experiment with how it will be presented  to enhance your
personality.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center