Janice:  sometimes you can leave a thread underneath the tally for it to sit
on, but that may not quite work if you've got 6 threads to use for the
tally.  You don't really say if the tally is slumping to one side in
particularly or just not 'behaving'.  I've found that I sometimes have to
take surplus twists off post rolling to help it sit a little better, and I
use the Gate style of rolled tally.

Feel free to email off list if you want to bounce ideas off me to help
problem solve.

Sybil Carter:  Can't say I recall seeing a recent article in PieceWork about
her (I could be wrong though), but I know there is an article in an early
issue of PieceWork about her.  I'd have to go look at the physical issues to
find it.  I have a full set of PW, so it's not hard if people really want  a
reference.  There are a few other docs around about her and her work.  The
Smithsonian Libraries have a document that appears to be authored by the
Sybil Carter Lace Association, and there was an article about her in 1980
(pre-PW era).

Cheers,
Helen, Duvall, WA