Jeri,

Laurie Waters reported at IOLI that she paid the $500 or so to have a
snippet of some lace radiocarbon-dated last year, with the latest, most
precise technology.  The lace was thought to be 16th or 17th century. The
radiocarbon dating came out with a range that included the putative date,
but had such a large possible error on the date that the conclusion was
that radiocarbon-dating is not precise enough to be useful.

I'm copying Laurie on this post--I have a queasy feeling that I'm
mis-remembering how the dating came out relative to the assigned date, and
I don't find anything hits on "radiocarbon" on LaceNews. She'll send us the
correct info if I've muddled it, although I do believe I am correct that
the possible error on the date was very large.

And BTW, a jeweler's loupe is still very useful 'in the field' so to
speak--there's lots of better tools in the lab, but at a dealer's stall,
the loupe still can't be beat, or is there a convenient tool I'm
overlooking?

Nancy
Connecticut, USA

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 08:18 AM, Jeri Ames <j