From: Alex Stillwell [mailto:alexstillw...@talktalk.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 3:21 AM
To: Arachne reply <lace@arachne.com>
Cc: Lorelei Halley <lhal...@bytemeusa.com>
Subject: Mechlin

Hi Lorelei

As far as I have managed to understand it the ,Mechlin, made before about
1740 was the early type with an all-over design that rarely contained the
ground we now class as Mechlin, i.e. hexagons with vertical plaits of four
half stitches with two twists on the pairs on the diagonal sides. I have one
piece containing plaits of only three half stitches. From my reading it
would appear that it was after this, when the general design changed and
more ground was used, that the different names were used.

It is most confusing

Alex