A couple of years ago we had a discussion about the Foundling Hospital in London, where mothers leaving their infants would leave a token, frequently fabric, to identify the child should she come back. One scrap was described as poor lace, or something similar. Lace for the lower classes. The servants may have been wearing some of this stuff. Also, this was the 1830's-40's, the Romantic Era, when lots of lace was everywhere.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where it's cloudy, rainy, but short sleeve weather.

Alice in Oregon wrote:
I also wondered at all the servants wearing real lace collars.  I didn't
think this was normal for servants, but maybe being in the royal household let
them dress better than other servants.