I enjoy making lace in a group because it's fun to chat with my friends.
However, I need an easy project for this, one that I've done enough of to do
without having to think very hard.  Anything that takes concentration is done
at home, alone.  Also, getting a project started, or one done on a very heavy
pillow, is also a home project.
Thus, i usually have several projects in process at a time -- and two or three
on small travel pillows so I can choose the project that suits the occasion.
I also take travel pillows to church meetings or places where I'll have to sit
for a length of time, like getting my car serviced.
I can listen to music, TV or an audiobook story while working complicated
lace, but conversation takes more attention.
In my working days, I only had evenings to make lace.  I still seem to follow
that pattern -- do chores etc in the daytime, and my special projects in the
evening when the TV is on.  Also, my fingers are a bit stiff in the mornings,
so it's easier for them to make lace later in the day.
The exception is for two months of the year during tax season when I work as a
receptionist -- and have to take something to work on between clients.  I am
working on my most difficult project at work -- Miss Channer's Mat.  My
friends are envious that I get paid while making lace.
Alice in Oregon -- where I woke up to snow again, but it didn't stay long.
We've had 4 times the usual snow this year.