Absolutely, I agree with Alex.
Lorelei

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-l...@arachne.com [mailto:owner-l...@arachne.com] On Behalf Of
Alex Stillwell
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2017 4:38 AM
Subject: [lace] instructions

Many lace books are written with the patterns in a progressive order so that
patterns later in the book involve techniques already covered earlier in the
book so the last pattern may involve the majority of those explained
previously. If the pattern was sold as a one-off it would need the whole
book to support it. One-off patterns are just that, they are not teaching
books. I suggest you invest in a good instruction book and work through it
pattern by pattern, learning each technique thoroughly as you go. The lace
workers used to insist that a yard of each new pattern had to be worked in
order to learn the techniques and build up speed; I have found that, if
there are only 2-3 new techniques in a piece than 4-5 repeats are all that
are necessary. Once you understand the techniques you can make anything.