Re:
From: <devonth...@gmail.com> Subject: [lace] Point d'Angleterre or Brussels
bobbin lace

When I wrote my Illustrated Dictionary of lacemaking I had many problems like
this and spent many hours thinking about them.  Finally I came to the
conclusion that the bottom line is that words are a form of communication and
that what we say or write is correctly interpreted by the recipient. Different
words have been used for the same variety of lace at different times, in
different countries, in different communities in the same country and whether
the name is used by a lacemaker, who knows the intimate structure of the lace,
a dealer, who is trying to sell it or a collector who may know little about
either but thinks she does. Also, many laces have been made in many towns,
places and countries apart from the one from which the lace derived it,s name.
We cannot ascribe any piece to a particular town or region unless there is
direct evidence. Sometimes design can be an indicator and sometimes
techniques, but even these can be unreliable. Researching Bucks point I have
found almost all the techniques, in the excellent  OIDFA book on Point Ground
Laces, in pieces in the Lace Guild Collection, most of which would have been
made in England. At best the names of the different laces should be treated as
generic and not a statement of where the lace had been made. I have recently
been researching a well known lace with an astounding result that I will be
releasing in the May edition of the Lace Society magazine. It shows how little
we can be sure of regarding the areas in which lace was made and how much
research needs to be done.

Happy lacemaking

Alex