Many thanks Janis!  Yes, there are MILES of plaits in Rauma lace, hence my
reference to Bedfordshire.  Although I own some Bedfordshire books, I've never
actually worked that lace.  Rauma lace is new to me as well so this has been a
steep leaning curve!  Another Arachnean also recommended hiding the new thread
in a plait so I will try that idea first--especially since I'm not near a leaf
at the moment.  My first inclination was to hide it in a giant crossing as I
just came thru a six-pair & could easily back up a bit.  I can never imagine
what the best solution might be, but going forward instead of backward sounds
like a better plan.  Thanks for lending a hand. Sincerely, Susan Hottle USA.

Sent from my iPad

> On May 4, 2017, at 1:13 PM, Janis Savage <thelacepl...@hotmail.co.za>
wrote:

> Hi Susan
>
> If your lace with tallies has plaits as well, like Bedfordshire, I find that
a new thread can be hidden in a plait.

> Just add the new thread to the plait along with the old one. Do 2 or 3
cross, twists. depending on the length of the plait then throw out the old
thread and continue. Cut off the end of the old and beginning of the new
threads later when no tension will pull on it. If your plait is tensioned nice
and tight, the join will not show and it will be held very firmly.

> I hope this helps
> Janis in Honeydew, South Africa
>

> Hello All!  For the past few weeks, I have been slowly working my way thru
the Kustaa Adolflai pattern for an exhibit of Finnish lace.  It has been quite
a challenge because I've never worked this type of lace AND it has an
abundance  of leaf tallies.  At long last, I am getting the tallies under
control thanks to Jean Leader's video & Practical Skills! Today, one of my
bobbins is running out of thread.  What to do?  The lace is so skinny, there
really isn't a good spot to exchange a thread. I looked in my Bedfordshire
books but did not see a specific reference for this issue.  Do the experts
have a "best case" solution for this problem?  Many thanks for any
suggestions.  Sincerely, Susan Hottle