Angharad Rixon posted a link to this business on the Textile Support Facebook
page.
https://www.contrado.com/custom-lace-fabric-material

It appears that just as the possibility for designing your own printed fabrics
has been available for a while, it is now possible to design your own machine
made lace. One of the examples given shows the three different lace modes in
white, with no color. I find this the most illuminating since the color tends
to confuse the image for me.

Although not handmade, I feel that there is a realm of possibility in this.
For instance, laces such as the epic Battle of Britain lace come to mind.
Also, as some of you know, I was predicting that as a result of my Gems of
European Lace exhibit at the Met that the runways would be awash with
equestrian themed lace in the coming year. Sadly this did not come to pass. Is
this an opportunity to set that in motion? My visit to a lace manufacturer in
NJ some years ago revealed that their designer did not take inspiration from
the great laces of the past, but rather consulted magazine advertisements to
see what was in style, ie. Roses. This explains why a lot of machine lace is
disappointing and does not rise to the standard of the War Laces designed by
the Belgian Symbolist artists.

On a visit to the Rhode Island School of Design, I saw that the potential
existed for students to design their own lace and have it made on computerized
machines. Never did I think that I, as a non-student might have the
possibility to do this. In fact, I probably don’t, because of my poor
computer skills, but maybe someone more skilled than I can do it. (Sue
Babbs?)

What are the possibilities for this lace? A thematic backdrop for a lace
demonstration? A very personalized lace for a wedding gown? Lace curtains with
an epic theme, say the Bayeux tapestry, or the World Trade Center attack? A
special table cloth for family functions with favorite pets depicted?

What do you think? And would someone please try it?
Devon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10