Hi Susan,

That's an interesting question! especially given the similarities between
Beds and the early mimics of Punto in Aria, as in LePompe. I personally
have not handled a piece of lace that seemed to be older than the mid-19th
C that I would call Beds, but "Beds" is a name based on a geographical
area. Lace in paintings from the 16th C through the 18th C that is
Beds-like was obviously made in Italy, and a little later in England and
Germany--can it be reasonably called Beds even though it wasn't produced by
a tradition in or starting from Bedfordshire, England?

Just out of curiosity, I checked what would come up on the Web and found
these statements:

1) "Lace-makers from Flanders settled in Bedfordshire as early as the 16th
century. By the mid-18th century, Newport Pagnell was a centre of
Bedfordshire lace production. The highpoint of lacemaking was from the late
17th century through the 18th century." (from Wikipedia "Bedfordshire
lace", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedfordshire_lace)

2) "A new style of lace, Bedfordshire, lace emerged, flourished and died
within 50 years [the last half of the 19th C]." (from Steph Peters' A Brief
History of Bedfordshire Lace, http://www.sandbenders.demon.
co.uk/bobbinlace/history.htm)

I agree with Steph:  Beds strictly speaking is a style of lace that
originated in and around Bedfordshire England in the 19th C. It has
similarities to the early Genoese braided lace, and generally Italian laces
that developed to imitate Punto in Aria (needle-lace), but one wouldn't
reasonably call lace developed and made in Italy "Bedfordshire lace", even
if the needle-lace mimics eventually came to be made in England in the 16th
and 17th C. "Beds" as a style of lace is still made today throughout
England and North America, but that is a carry-over from the 19th C English
Beds, not the older braided laces originally from Italy.

Even the Wikipedia article on Bedfordshire lace differentiates between lace
that originated elsewhere but happens to have come to be made in
Bedfordshire, as in quote 1 above, versus the style of lace that originated
in Bedfordshire: "Bedfordshire lace is a style of bobbin lace originating
from Bedfordshire in the 19th century, and made in the English Midlands
lacemaking area."  If I were living in Bedfordshire and made a lace today
based on a design from LePompe, I would not call it Beds, because of the
origin of the design. But if I made a piece of lace from a Thomas Lester
pricking, even though I am sitting in Connecticut USA, I would call it
Beds--again because of the origin of the style.

As a side note, I don't think all references should be considered equal.
In my opinion, one should avoid the less scholarly references (e.g.,
Pallister's History of Lace) and concentrate on the more scholarly, and in
general more recent, ones--the best being Santina Levey's Lace: A History
(still available new on Amazon.com, for less than I paid for it when it
first came out...).

I'll be interested in what others think about this question. Also are there
any suggestions about what to call the early plaited laces that originated
in Genoa in the 15th C but spread rapidly. Based on my argument above, I
guess they should be "Genoese plaited lace" or something like that.  My
copy of Levey is out in the car--I'd better go get it!

Nancy

Nancy A. Neff
Connecticut, USA