Just a passing thought - I know a good number of lacemakers tend to take Mrs
Bury Palliser with a pinch of salt on some matters, particularly regarding
early lace history which many other authors have copied without researching
back to primary evidence, but one thing she would have been fairly reliable
on, surely, must be the lace that was being made within her own life time, and
her history was written ?around 1865 (not sure if there were any earlier
versions, she was born in 1805), well within memory of the Great Exhibition
and the effect it had on the fashions of the day. For example, those of us who
were teenagers in the 60s will well remember what sort of thing we were
wearing then, particularly the trendy new things of the time (think of Mary
Quant's designs - the stylised black flowers on shiny white plastic, etc).
Santina Levey, although a highly regarded expert, did not have the advantage
of living through the era of the newly inspired lace patterns of the 1850s, so
on that I would tend to look to the older, contemporary, published histories
than the relatively new ones in determining what was what at the time.

Jane Partridge