Hi Jane and Arachne:

> It's interesting to read the different ways different people tackle the
problem, and I'm sitting here wondering how many who regularly use the ghost
pillow/voodoo board method were self taught?

I was originally self-taught, though I have had many different teachers over
the years. I did not use a voodoo board to learn and I have never needed to
use a voodoo board for laces where the threads travel in an
easily-recognizable direction, like Bucks and the others you mention. However
- the Flemish laces! My goodness! I was so glad when a teacher calmed my
frustration with this excellent suggestion.

Once I got used to the way the lace is made and it started to make more sense,
I needed the voodoo board less and less. I can now make the narrower laces
without one, but when it is a matter of a wider lace, I will always set one up
so it is handy if I start to need it.

I believe it is actually more difficult to follow a thread diagram than it is
to just “wing it” - put the pricking down and work it as you wish. When you
follow a thread diagram, you are trying to re-create somebody else’s thoughts
and make yourself think the way they thought. It’s a little like dancing - you
can get up and boogie on your own just fine, but if somebody else has made up
a dance and you’re trying to follow their footsteps, it is not so simple.

You do learn the original techniques better if you slavishly follow a thread
diagram - particularly a thread diagram of a reconstruction of a very old
lace. After the initial shock of learning these laces wears off, you can see
when a technique was used and how it was used, and how the whole pattern is
kept together by having a pair occasionally run the whole width of the piece.
You can see where the threads originally ran a little uphill - often to
back-track and make the picots come out even - and sometimes some technique
mystifies you until you get to the next repeat and you see they didn’t do that
again. Following a thread diagram is like looking over the shoulder of the
original lacemaker, and I love being able to do that.

<snip>

> That said, using an enlarged diagram covered in plastic film or laminated,
and having low-tack adhesive stickers or dry wipe pens to mark your place
sounds a much better idea than sticking pins in or drawing over the lines. It
means that if you decide to do the same pattern again, you can re-use your
original enlarged copy, rather than having to reproduce it.

Yes, but Jane - then you wouldn’t get to stab it with pins!

Adele
West Vancouver, BC