Because I had all the ingredients on hand, I just made the Cattern cakes
recipe, which is exactly as Phillipa has typed out in her message.

My verdict: I weighed everything and then measured it in North American cups.
You wind up with roughly 3-¼ cups of dry ingredients that are supposed to be
moistened by ½ c butter and 1 medium egg yolk. In the recipes in my trusty
Canadian baking book, that amount of butter and egg is used to moisten about 2
cups of dry ingredients.

So, I put in an extra 2 ounces of butter and used a jumbo egg rather than a
medium one, and the mix turned good. I followed the rest of the instructions;
must say the cakes are indeed bigger than a cookie - you would want 1 cake per
person. I got 16 cakes, about 3” wide and a little under 1” high. The baking
time wasn’t enough - the first few were still raw in the middle after 10
minutes.

Adele