I too am guilty of enjoying the list, but not responding to messages. I always
enjoy Jeri's historical messages, and have learned from them. I enjoyed the
discussion about lace tells, but have not yet looked up my own notes to see if
I can add anything to it.

Many years ago, when I was learning Bucks Point lace from Marjory Carter, who
English lacemakers will remember and respect, she told me that experienced
Bucks lacemakers worked areas of ground without placing pins. Their tension was
good enough to be able to do this, and it speeded the work up considerably.
Whether or not the ground was pricked, I do not know. It could have been
pricked but the pin holes not used. I have never seen an old Bucks pricking
with the ground not pricked.

I don't think I have any rosewood bobbins, but I know I have two ivory bobbins.
They were carved from a very old piece of ivory that the maker had had for many
years - certainly before the current restrictions (which I endorse completely)
came into force. I only go to Belgium to make lace nowadays, and there I use
Binche bobbins, so any controversial bobbins stay at home.

I enjoy reading the list every day, and would miss it very much if it
disappeared. I will try in future to respond to messages which have interested
me. The rants and insults upset me, but I will not let them affect my
attachment to the list.

Kathleen
In a wet and windy Berkshire, UK.

Sent from my iPad