Sorry everyone - operator malfunction! The "send" button on my Kindle is where the "delete" button is on my laptop screen!

Maybe it was simply that the person who brought the technique to England could remember the technique but put the pricking on the pillow upside down, thus changing the footside to the other side, and then everyone they taught thought it was the way to do it.

Or maybe like me they found picots are quicker to make on the left side than the right. It is easier to twist with my left hand, so if you're doing a point ground picot with 7 twists it is much quicker if the footside (without picots) is on the left and the picots are all on the right.

Sue