Hi, Here are a couple comments from the Arachne archives and there are more.
One at the bottom of page 2 of DMC search results.  I seem to remember a
long discussion of this with some more clues. Did Leonard take part in
that discussion? Lots of years ago!

If I find more info I'll send it along.  Jane in Vermont, USA with 3" of
new snow (7.5 cm), could have been worse!
jvik...@sover.net
Hello Lucie ( and Lynn)

>From your description, it appears that you have a French edition.  The
earliest French edition that I have details for was dated Oct 1909, when
630,000 copies had been printed.  I don't have the number of pages for this
one, which is the larger size, but the 1924 pocket size contained 828.  So
it appears that your book predates 1909.

I keep looking for more clues to dates - the best so far was a English
version which had a handwritten inscription - Holmes, Windermere, 1895.  I
believe the first book was published in 1886.

Hope this helps a bit,

Liz