I have done the 6 holly leaves, and for the throwing out used alteernate
threads in the middle of the half stitch and then crossed the left over pairs,
which successfully covered any gaps.    I worked the leaves in a very fine
wite bought 3 years ago at Cranmore Halls, Solihull, and they hold their shape
without any stiffening.
I have a DMC book which was my Grandmothers, passed down via my mother, thanks
to Arachne I now know it ws published in 928 - September 1928 and says
1,120,000 copies printed in English, French, Spanish, Italian and German.
Susan Brooks
in soggy Weston super Mare UK