might not have added that we now know who made the needle lace version of
the Bayeux Tapestry at the Smithsonian, and also approximately when. See
http://blog.americanhistory.si.edu/ or search Bayeux tapestry Smithsonian.
Thanks to Michel Bouvot of Caen, who found a catalog from Melville and
Ziffer with a piece that is almost identical, minus the lettering, that
they exhibited in 1906 in Paris. “Les Grandes collections de dentelles
anciennes et modernes'” Exposées au pavillon de Marsan, 1906 –
exposition
de l’union centrale des arts décoratifs - Paris.
They also stated in another catalog from the early 1900s they had
difficulty keeping up with the demand from Americans for this type of lace.
Just another interesting tidbit of lace history.

Karen in sunny but cold Washington, DC