Jane’s point about historic lace in color is well taken. In fact, I was
privileged to take a tour of Spain in which we learned Frisado de Vallodolid,
and also saw practically all the pieces in Spain. This lace which was made in
the 16th and 17th centuries exclusively by nuns for church use was dazzlingly
colored and embellished with gold and silver.
I have always thought that the whiteness of lace was the result of the
Protestant Reformation, sumptuary laws and laundry considerations as people in
Europe decided to wear washable body linen next to their skin and embellish
the area around the neck and hands where the linen showed.
Devon