Hi Arachnids

I also got interested in exploring grounds and tried many of them. Then I made
a Bucks point bookmark, an earlier version of the one in my geometrical Bucks
book and it was a shock to the system. If you get a chance to see the updated
version in my book p150 follow it up by reading the comments on pages 166-168.
The majority of fillings and grounds have a strong effect on the design and
can make it or break it by leading the eye in different directions. After
trying many fillings and grounds have come to the conclusion that the
traditional ones are popular because they do not disturb the design and the
more elaborate ones, that we find interesting, have gone out of use because
they do not enhance designs but interfere with them. Also bear in mind that
designs for lace developed when fine thread was used and the stitches in the
fillings could not be seen in detail, only the general effect. Traditionally
lace consists of clothwork (including half stitch) areas with or without a
gimp that look white set in a fairly non-descript ground and there is usually
a filling or other set of stitches e.g. spiders, to add interest and focus the
eye. Gimps will lead the eye through the design. These elements are put
together to make a picture, not necessarily naturalistic, but one that is
pleasing. Fillings can make or break the design by changing the focus so be
very careful when working with unusual grounds. Be critical of the effect they
have and also how dominant they can be, useful when used in a position that is
the focus of the design, less so when they dominate the picture and you lose
your design and I have not even mentioned colour, that is a totally different
ball game.

Have fun and by all means experiment with grounds, they are fascinating. Using
them is another matter.

Alex