I talked to Sharon Ghamari-Tabrizi the other day about her work of
fiction based on the lace world in New York in 1980. Sharon has only
recently turned to fiction. She has done a great deal of scientific
writing including a non-fiction book called "The Worlds of Herman
Kahn: The Intuitive Science of Thermonuclear War"published by Harvard
University Press.  For her academic background, which is extensive,
you can read her author page on Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/Sharon-Ghamari-Tabrizi/e/B001IXMMSG
When I talked to her she had already been reading the Needle and
Bobbin Club bulletins available on line and knew a number of things
about the lace world in New York in the 1980s.
Most of the time when I read fictional books that include lacemaking
in them, the author has not done much research and that is quite
clear. I have even had authors who have written books that include
lacemaking that serves some incidental role in the story line contact
me after the book is written and ask me to verify that the thing they
have made up could actually have happened. Clearly they are not going
to rewrite the book when I tell them that it is completely unlikely.
So, I appreciate that Sharon is trying to research her topic in a
thorough way and write a book that is not just full of convenient
suppositions about lacemaking. As we all know, it is a topic that is
much more interesting than most people realize. What if Sharon's book
becomes the Da Vinci Code of lacemaking? Imagine how many people will
be interested in taking up lacemaking! Every minor museum will be
dusting off their collections and calling for lace demonstrations.
Local librarians will swoon at the idea of adult and children's lace
lessons as part of their programming. It could be good for lacemaking.
We are going to arrange a phone conversation with my colleague Gunnel
who was at the Textile Study Room in the Met in the 1980s which will
hopefully help Sharon. Things were very different then, as the Ratti
Center was not in existence. I am looking forward to hearing what
Gunnel has to say. As interest is growing in the lace world of the
Downton Abby period, the memories of the 1970s and 1980s which is also
a fascinating period of lace history are still there to be preserved.
Jeri's collection, of course, is a valuable part of this era of
history. A lot of people take their historical fiction seriously as
historical fact, so it would be nice if we could assist Sharon in
getting it right.
Devon