When I was the IOLI Historian I wrote some pieces culled from
information in the earliest publications of the IOLI. I was intrigued
that in addition to Kaethe Kliot, there was another major lace figure
in San Francisco, Gertrude Biedermann, who espoused a more
traditionalist point of view on lace. Could this be a possible source
of dramatic tension in a work of fiction? I never met her, although
she was very active, even writing a column in the nascent IOLI
publication. It was also the practice to contribute articles about
lace that had appeared in other publications. I was surprised to see
that Biedermann had contributed a piece about lacemaking in Russia
that had been published in the Daily Worker, a communist publication,
leading me to wonder about a woman who had traditionalist leanings in
lace, but possibly atypical political leanings. I had forgotten that
Biedermann had predicted the demise of contemporary lace.

I quote myself, "In,  Lacemakers bobbin' along,  the San Francisco
Examiner profiles Martha Anderson and Gertrude Biedermann,
"self-styled traditionalists and the only teachers of bobbin
lacemaking in San Francisco. They demand equal time in their gentle
warfare with contemporary approaches to lacemaking. 'It's a fad,'
Mrs. Biedermann says. 'I'm not being critical, but I think
contemporary lacemaking will phase out.  It reminds me of the
paintings you look at and ask, 'What is it?'"  Unlike most readers of
the San Francisco Examiner, those of us who are in the know, realize
that at that very moment, technically outside the city limits of San
Francisco, but in nearby Berkeley, Kaethe Kliot is cutting loose,
making gargantuan examples of contemporary modern lace and teaching at
her business Some Place, the precursor to Lacis. Kathe Kliot remains
unnamed in this article, but even Mrs. Biedermann concedes that there
are some issues with traditional lacemaking, "Mrs. Biedermann is
mildly indignant at the impatience some students show when they take
up lacemaking....They want short cuts.  They want to hurry...That
isn't possible in traditional lacemaking...It's like piano, if you
don't practice your scales, you'll never play the concerto."[i]"