Kathleen writes:  I wonder if it is simply that bobbin lace appeals
particularly to scientists and especially mathematicians. Moving on
from this, is it the more “regular” laces which appeal, I.e. Torchon,
Bucks and Flanders, rather than Bedfordshire for instance?

Actually, I have always thought that Bedfordshire was intensely
mathematical. Isn't Bedfordshire a lace where you are presented with a
design that has acanthus leaves strewn all over it, in different
orientations, all basically the same shape, but you work each one
differently as you have to keep the weaving line perpendicular to the
edge? Similarly, laces such as Milanese and Duchesse present you with
the mathematical challenge of making each stitch of linen stitch
appear at a perfect right angle like a weave, while the tape or flower
curls around. One time a museum colleague, looking at a Duchesse piece
said, "It is like an Escher". I think that it is like the Escher that
has all the stairs going hither and yon, always looking very
straightforward and mathematical and yet not being that way at all.